Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) Apprenticeship
The Successful Candidate Will Need To Undertake The Level 4 Apprenticeship Qualification In Independent Advocacy
CADMHAS is a registered charity and limited company
CADMHAS has been operating since 2007 and provides community advocacy, statutory advocacy (Independent Mental Health and Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy) and Relevant Person Representative services across North Wales and Powys.
We are looking to appoint three full-time (37 hours a week) IMCAs to join our apprenticeship scheme. The scheme will require the successful candidates to follow a Level 4 Independent advocacy course attending college virtually 2 days per month. The remaining time will be split between completing coursework and practical casework initially working on Deprivation of Liberty cases.
Responsible to: Senior Independent Mental Capacity Advocate, who is responsible to The Director of Services of CADMHAS.
Working with: CADMHAS staff and volunteers. Service Users of CADMHAS. Colleagues in both statutory and non-statutory agencies.
Location: Working from home and in the community. We are looking to appoint three full time IMCAs to the team with one member of the team based in Gwynedd and Ynys Môn (Welsh speaker essential), one team member based in Conwy and Denbighshire (Welsh being highly desirable), and the final member of the team based in Flintshire and Wrexham with Welsh speaking being desirable. You will be required to travel throughout the area you are based, therefore, a driving licence is essential, but you may be required on occasion to work in other areas of North Wales.
Aims of the post: To work as an Independent Mental Capacity Advocate.
Remuneration: The salary for the post is pro rata (37 hour week) of £22,287 per annum raising to £23,613 on completion of the Diploma in Independent Advocacy. CADMHAS will comply with the employer pension duties in respect of the Employee in accordance with Part 1 of the Pension Act 2008.
Hours: The working week for this post is 37 hours with 7.5 hours four days per week with 7 hours one day per week (excluding lunch hour). Overtime is not payable but time off in lieu may be taken at a mutually convenient time. Very occasional evening and weekend work may be necessary.
Annual Leave: Holiday entitlement is 37 days per annum inclusive of all Bank Holidays.
Other information: There will be a probation period of 6 months commencing from the first day of employment. The post will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Deliver the IMCA services for individual service users as defined by the service’s work programme
- Provide an IMCA service to people experiencing mental capacity issues as defined in the Mental Capacity Act 2005.
- Deliver a service which is independent and confidential.
- To represent and support that person in all matters relating to the MCA:
- Serious Medical Treatment
- Care Reviews
- Change in Accommodation
- Deprivation of Liberty
- To compile a final report in preparation for Best Interests decision detailing visits or contacts made on behalf of the person being supported.
- To promote CADMHAS in joint ventures taking place in the area and any other public relations work which will positively promote the scheme, its work and philosophy.
- Develop a working knowledge of administration systems relating to CADMHAS
- Maintain and safeguard all information and property held in the CADMHAS base.
- To present written reports when requested
The following tasks will be carried out depending on the time available and under the direction of the line manager.
- Represent the views and interests of CADMHAS on various committees as requested and agreed by the Manager.
- Participate in the collection of local information
- To aid in the collection of data required for the evaluation and monitoring of all aspects of the project.
- The post holder will be expected to attend such training events identified as being of value to their role either by the Service Manager or themselves through supervision and appraisal.
- Priorities for the work of the IMCA will be in line with the service’s development and work programmes. The IMCA’s work will be closely monitored on the Board’s behalf by the Director of Services.
The duties outlined above are not exhaustive but serve as a guide to the current and major responsibilities of the post. In view of this the job description will be reviewed on a regular basis and may need to be altered. Such changes will be in consultation with the post holder.
The following are considered to be essential:
- The ability to communicate effectively in Welsh is essential for one of the posts.
- Experience of providing representation and support for clients in a wide variety of settings, to a wide variety of people and organisations
- An understanding of, and commitment to, the involvement and empowerment of service users.
- Good communication skills on behalf of others
- Good listening skills
- Negotiation skills
- Experience of working as part of a team and working independently
- The ability to work in a way that empowers people
- Must hold current full driving licence and have access to a vehicle that can be used to visit service users and attend meetings as required.
- A willingness to develop with the organisation
- Report writing/record- keeping skills
- Ability to use word processing packages, input information onto a data base and carry out research on the internet.
- Flexibility and enthusiasm
The following are considered to be highly desirable:
- Have an understanding of the IMCA role as stated in the Mental Capacity Act 2005 but training will be provided as part of the apprenticeship scheme.
- The ability to communicate effectively in Welsh is desirable for two of the posts.
- Desirable – Experience in the field of mental capacity issue in a paid/voluntary capacity or as a carer or user of services
- Desirable – Experience in the voluntary sector
- A CV will not be accepted. Applications forms will need to be requested from CADMHAS office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing date for applications is the 23rd January 2023. The applications can be emailed to email@example.com or posted to CADMHAS, 94 Bowen Court, St. Asaph Business Park, Denbighshire, LL17 0JE
- Interviews will be conducted on 2nd February 2023 at CADMHAS, 94 Bowen Court, St. Asaph Business Park, Denbighshire, LL17 0JE
This post is also available in: Cymraeg